After a break for Christmas, we're back with a three part episode.
First, we discuss tofacitinib (Xeljanz), the new DMARD for rheumatoid arthritis. We primarily discuss the phase three trials but get into some of the side effects noticed in the phase 2 trials as well. Michael then does a bit of a monologue on using text-macro programs to improve the speed and quality of his documentation. Finally, Suleman leads the discussion the potential of disruption in the world of academic publishing.
Tofacitinib (Xeljanz) Phase 3 Trials
Fleischmann R, Kremer J, Cush J, et al. Placebo-controlled trial of tofacitinib monotherapy in rheumatoid arthritis. N Engl J Med. 2012;367(6):495–507.
van Vollenhoven RF, Fleischmann R, Cohen S, et al. Tofacitinib or adalimumab versus placebo in rheumatoid arthritis. N Engl J Med. 2012;367(6):508–519.
Other Tofacitinib (Xeljanz) Articles
- Kremer JM, Bloom BJ, Breedveld FC, et al. The safety and efficacy of a JAK inhibitor in patients with active rheumatoid arthritis: Results of a double-blind, placebo-controlled phase IIa trial of three dosage levels of CP-690,550 versus placebo. Arthritis Rheum. 2009;60(7):1895–1905.
- Boy MG, Wang C, Wilkinson BE, et al. Double-blind, placebo-controlled, dose-escalation study to evaluate the pharmacologic effect of CP-690,550 in patients with psoriasis. J. Invest. Dermatol. 2009;129(9):2299–2302.
- Cohen S, Zwillich SH, Chow V, LaBadie RR, Wilkinson B. Co-administration of the JAK inhibitor CP-690,550 and methotrexate is well tolerated in patients with rheumatoid arthritis without need for dose adjustment. Br J Clin Pharmacol. 2010;69(2):143–151.
- Tanaka Y, Suzuki M, Nakamura H, Toyoizumi S, Zwillich SH, Tofacitinib Study Investigators. Phase II study of tofacitinib (CP-690,550) combined with methotrexate in patients with rheumatoid arthritis and an inadequate response to methotrexate. Arthritis Care Res. 2011;63(8):1150–1158.
- Fleischmann R, Cutolo M, Genovese MC, et al. Phase IIb dose-ranging study of the oral JAK inhibitor tofacitinib (CP-690,550) or adalimumab monotherapy versus placebo in patients with active rheumatoid arthritis with an inadequate response to disease-modifying antirheumatic drugs. Arthritis Rheum. 2012;64(3):617–629.
- Kremer JM, Cohen S, Wilkinson BE, et al. A phase IIb dose-ranging study of the oral JAK inhibitor tofacitinib (CP-690,550) versus placebo in combination with background methotrexate in patients with active rheumatoid arthritis and an inadequate response to methotrexate alone. Arthritis Rheum. 2012;64(4):970–981.
- Sandborn WJ, Ghosh S, Panes J, et al. Tofacitinib, an oral Janus kinase inhibitor, in active ulcerative colitis. N Engl J Med. 2012;367(7):616–624.
- TextExpander for Mac
- TextExpander for iOS
- Michael's blog posts and videos on using TextExpander
- Prednisone Tapers with Keyboard Maestro